HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 5

From:
Joe Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 09:56:43 +0000
Wirt - Well said (as usual). I certainly remember very clearly the day I
became an "instant" system administrator. One day I was happy as a
clam in my cube turning out code, the next day I was responsible for
delivering computer services to a whole (400 employee) company. No
warning, no preparation. I found out very quickly what a rare world the
HP3K world is. It's chock full of people who have the knowlege and
know how to share it effectively with others (and don't seem to mind
doing so).

Joe Alexander   Systems Manager
Biowhittaker, Inc.  Walkersville MD

>>> "[log in to unmask]" 04/28/98 06:38pm >>>
John Norbut writes:

>  Yikes.....System Admin....and doesn't know the limit command.
>  Who did the hiring in this place??

As opposed to yesterday, let me be both frank and curt in this instance,
but
John's comment is wholly inappropriate.
<SNIP>
 it's extremely important to remember that everyone who comes to
computers was dead ignorant on his first day, no matter how much of a
guru he
may be now. Ignorance is never a sin, especially if you make honest,
valid
attempts to find out what you don't know. But the same can't be said for
arrogance. It is never appropriate.

Wirt Atmar