HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 5

From:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 23:58:41 +0000
On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Nick Demos wrote:

> I want to revive an old thread.
>
> All well and good as far as it goes, but I think more is required.  The
> conversion of a Unix application should be almost a no-brainer!  "Plug
>  and Play.  Now I know that this ideal is not quite possible, but the
>  following would certainly help:

Well let's take for example MK, a full featured manufacturing application
that competes with Baan and SAP, (it used to be known as MANMAN/X, but now
it has developed to the point of nowhere being near the same as was.) What
would it take to port MK to the HP3000?  (Setting MANMAN Classic aside for
the moment.)

Not only do you need to port the software, but you would also have to tell
it what database to use, and it can't be IMAGE.  As far as I know, MK will
work with either CA-Ingres, B-ISAM, Informix, or Oracle.  (Ingres was
ported once to the HP3K but not under CA's auspices.)  I don't know about
the other databases, but Ingres would have to be ported again since it has
been so long.

If you then bring MANMAN Classic back into the picture, then why would
someone want to buy into Ingres or Oracle if there is a robust application
already out there that uses the IMAGE which you already have?  There are
also competing products, such as HP's MM/3000 or Votaw's Jobshop/3000.