HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 5

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 12:56:11 +0100
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Jim Norbut
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>On 28 Apr 1998 03:18:56 GMT, "Sajeeva Perera" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I am new to the HP 3000 administrator in my office. Pls. let me know the
>>commend to stop users logging in to the system. This is required specially
>>when backing up the system.
>>
>>rgds
>>Chalaka
>
>Yikes.....System Admin....and doesn't know the limit command.
>Who did the hiring in this place??

Have you not noticed the trend? The HP3000 has fallen victim to its own
reliability, ease of use and unobtrusiveness.

So when an employer has a room-full of Unix boxes, Wintel servers and
GKWs, including the odd HP3000 workhorse, and he can't find someone who
knows all about all of it, who's he going to employ?

Someone who knows how to say the magic words to all the *flaky* boxes,
of course.... And of course, that's what people are being trained for
today.

So we see and help a constant stream of people here who have been
'gifted' an HP3000. No longer the be-all and end-all of their day-long
tasks (even if it does still support most of their company's mission-
critical stuff with little or no fuss), they still have to get to grips
fast with an administrative subset of what it does do, without the
luxury of 10 days SysAdmin training, and sometimes even without
'fripperies' like a set of manuals or the Laser-ROM either.

I used to reckon that the most essential thing to keep the HP3000 alive
was SQL access to Image. Now HP have done that, and done that
handsomely, I reckon the next most important thing is that, though the
good offices of Posix-compliance, a SysAdmin should be able to do all
the mundane administrative tasks needed on an HP3000 without ever having
to know any more than he would need to know to do the same jobs on any
'other' Unix box.

Sigh......
--
Roy Brown               Phone : (01684) 291710     Fax : (01684) 291712
Affirm Ltd              Email : [log in to unmask]