HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 5

From:
"Genute, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Genute, Thomas
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 11:25:51 -0400
In the past few months we have switched or production volume set from
JBOD to EMC Symmetrix 3700 with 16 x 23Gb spindles (each seen on the
3k as 6x4Gb) using 6 FWSCSI boards and 2Gb cache.  We installed the
first configuration as RAID S.  The (write) performance was so bad
that we had to reconfigure them RAID 1.  The performance is still not
great and we see service times comparable to yours, i.e., 60ms on some
of the EMC drives.  As you can see, the EMC will not resolve your IO
problems.  Application design appears to be the main problem here and
we are now addressing that issue (although I'm sure that the limited
number of spindles does not help).   Also watch out for the pricing.
 EMC has priced later add-ons. i.e., disk and cache much higher than
the original configuration.  We are now ordering 18Gb drives (will
configure them to be seen as 2 x 9Gb by the 3k) and adding another 2Gb
cache.  For the system volume set we use an HP Model 20 array (raid
1).  That appears to be working out fine.