HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 4

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 06:24:23 -0400
Patrick Santucci says...

> > If Microsoft is forced to "un-bundle" Internet Explorer because it is
> > an "application" and not part of the OS, then the following need to be
> > un-bundled, also:
> >
> > WordPad (competes with numerous word processing software companies)
>
> Maybe! But I might pay to have it since it supports so many formats.

This is one of the things MS did back when "Chicago" was in beta, that the
testers asked for - ditch Windows Write, and put something decent in there.
That lead to this "stripped down" version of Word :)  It uses the same
translators.

> > The built-in MS networking (competes with Novell)
>
> Only the IPX (Novell protocol) part, perhaps.

And may IPX/SPX Rest In Peace...  (The same, by the way, goes for NetBEUI -
with NT 5.0 (and can also be done with 4.0 now), may NetBEUI too, rest in
peace - and let us all talk in harmony with good ol' TCP/IP <g>

Joe