HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 4

From:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 07:58:26 -0400
Infoworld's April 20th issue has an interesting column by Bob Lewis on the
MicroSoft and the DOJ.  I suppose the entire text can be found at
www.infoworld.com, but some of the salient points are:

"Antitrust laws kick in when significant competition does not exist in a
market. . . . The notion that the operating system marketplace is
competitive is a fantasy.  Antitrust laws apply to this situation."

"Internet Explorer is an application, not an OS function."

". . . even free, Netscape costs more than Internet Explorer."

"Microsoft isn't being penalized for its success.  Should it lose in
court, Microsoft will have been penalized for violating the consent
decree it signed, as well as the antitrust laws of this country.

Microsoft's existence depends on the enforcement of intellectual
property laws.  Just like you anc me, it has to obey the others,
too - it doesn't get to pick and choose."

Just some food for thought.  I'm not advocating Lewis' position.

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]      Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: (330) 527-2124                   P. O. Box 285
  Fax: (330) 527-2123                   Garrettsville, Ohio  44231