HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 4

From:
WirtAtmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WirtAtmar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:27:57 EDT
Ted writes:

> The reality does match the description.  Unfortunately, the workaround
> doesn't seem to keep the MANAGER.SYS password from being
> displayed on the screen . .
>
>  Oh, well.  As I said, normal telnet is plenty for us.

The display of passwords is a second and separate problem to double echoing.
Worse, it's endemic to telnet itself. To correct the problem, HP and we are
putting some new behavior into telnet that will eventually require us to write
an RFC to explain it. It will be called Suppress Local Echo (SLE). When the
host transmits a DO SLE command, the locally echoing terminal will suppress
its local echo of the keystrokes the user is typing (passwords, etc.) so that
no one, neither host nor terminal, will be echoing those keystrokes to the
terminal's receive buffer. The user's keystrokes will only go one way, out to
the host computer. They will not otherwise be displayed.

When the password is finished being entered, the host HP3000 will transmit a
matching DONT SLE to reinstitute keystroke local echoes. The version of QCTerm
you have now actually supports this behavior. Clearly though, you will have to
upgrade your MPE FOS to see the new password-suppressed behavior. In the
interim, you'll just have to put your hands over the screen as you type if
you're in the half-duplex mode :-).

Wirt Atmar