HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 4

From:
WirtAtmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WirtAtmar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 13:22:46 EDT
Ted Ashton writes in regard to QCTerm:

>  BTW, Wirt, I checked the archives, but didn't happen to see if there is
>  something I'm supposed to do to make "Advanced" telnet work right.  It's
not
>  an issue, really, as our 3000 is close by, but I thought I'd check.
>  Thanks again.

"Advanced" (half-duplex) telnet should work perfectly well right out of the
box with the host-based version (MPE/iX 5.5) of telnet, but it doesn't work at
all with a DTC-mounted TAC card.

For half-duplex to work, host echo suppression has to be initiated. All
indications are that the telnet implementation on TAC cards doesn't support
that option.

In that regard, there is also a problem with the current version of the host-
based version of telnet. When a programmatic request occurs to suppress echo,
as when typing in a password, an FCONTROL 12/13 pair is issued to the telnet
client. Unfortunately, it doesn't pass that information along to the remote
client, which is in this case QCTerm. Thus, when the application
programmatically turns echo back on, the telent-requested setting of no-echo
is overwritten. The consequence is double echoing of characters on the screen.

This small faux pas is being remedied as we speak (in fact, it is my
impression that the problem has already been corrected within HP, but I
haven't seen it yet). We've temporarily created a workaround to the problem
with a small button at the bottom of the screen labeled "echo." If double-
echoing occurs, press this button. It will send the necessary telnet command
sequences to re-suppress echo at the host.

Wirt Atmar