HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 4

From:
Sletten Kenneth W <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sletten Kenneth W <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 20:05:07 -0700
Yesterday Howard asked:

<<We recently purchased an APC Matrix MX5000XR UPS to handle the new servers
we have installed here and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience
hooking a 3000 to one of these guys. >>

We have been running our Series 959KS/200 on APC
Matrix UPS for over two years;  first a 5 KVA and right
now a 3 KVA.  No UPS problems.

With only the SPU, four internal 2-GB discs, ten external
4-GB discs, five external 2-GB discs, two DDS drives, and
the console, believe it draws 42 percent of rated load for the
3 KVA Matrix UPS...   oops....  guess we've got one PC
plugged in to the 3 KVA too.

If you don't have separate overtemp / high humidity cutouts
upstream of your Matrix UPS, note that there are relatively
inexpensive plug in options for the later models that will do
that.  Also note that the APC Matrix does *not* provide a
plug-compatible equivalent to the HP UPS system shutdown
signal (or system crash signal, I believe is more accurate).
So you have to do at least some roll-your-own in this area
to maintain that feature.

See APC on the web for all their info....  But you've probably
already paid them a visit, at:

http://www.apcc.com/

Ken Sletten