HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 4

From:
Bob Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 10:20:51 -0700
Patrick Santucci wrote:

>You surely don't mean Edit/3000. What is HP/Edit?

Dang!  I knew I shoulda made that distinction.  No, HP/Edit is a full-screen,
character mode editor, not related to EDIT/3000.

>You could write your own macros to replace words, characters, flip-flop >text,
etc.

Yep.  Macros are strings of characters that look rather like line noise.  Each
key on the keyboard could have up to 4 meanings (uppercase, lowercase,
meta-uppercase, meta-lowercase; meta being the key preceded by uppercase B).  In
addition, macros could be assigned to these keys.  One fun thing to try is
typing in your own name as a macro, to see what damage could be done.  :)

One very nice thing about the Pinewood version is that it can *record* macros.
Nevertheless, VooDoo has a bit of a learning curve.  :)

>One of *the* best features of Voodoo was that if your system crashed
>when you had a file open for editing (not that uncommon back then) or
>some moron operator aborted your session (speaking for myself only -- I
>was the moron operator in question at the time %-P), you could recover
>your all changes from your last interrupted editing session by texting
>in the Voodoo log file

Yes, very handy indeed.  I haven't aborted my own session for a while, but this
feature saved lots of work in the past.

Another nice feature:  you can have several files open at once, and yank lines
of text from one to another.

>Does anyone know if Voodoo is still available and/or how to get it? I'd
>love to have it again, but didn't know it had been ported from the
>classic machines. Are you really still using it, Bob?

Yes, I still use it.  We have a cheap, um, thrifty shop here, so we can afford
free, usually.  In so far as I know, it was never ported to Spectrum (I run it
in CM).  It was written in Pascal, so it should be doable, should anyone stumble
across the source.  (This seems unlikely, since HP sells the HP/Edit version.)

-Bob