HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 4

From:
John Zoltak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Zoltak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 15:44:21 -0400
Hello List Members,

I have found more on the HPDATECONVERT. Apparently I am getting the
incorrect error message back. The parameter that the intrinsic doesn't
like is the output date parameter. The intrinsic is checking the output
parameter to see if there is enough space to hold the selected output
type. It does this by checking the first word (32 bits) of this
parameter. If it is 0, it assumes that this is OK, if it is greater that
0, it checks this against the needed bytes and if it's too small returns
error number 2, which is incorrect since it's really the output
parameter it doesn't like. So if I initialize the output parameter to
spaces, this says it has $2020 (#8224) bytes to work with and this
passes.

In my case of using HPBB, interpreted, there was a 1 in this parameter
and it failed with the error code 2 which lead me down the wrong path.
By initializing the parameter it now works. But this sure is an unknown
feature, at least there is nothing in the documentation about it. Just
one more gotch'ya to look out for.

Happy Debugging
John Zoltak
North American Mfg Co