HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 4

From:
Bharati Desai <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bharati Desai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 12:22:02 PDT
The IMAGE/SQL team has embarked upon an investigation on LIMITS for
TurboIMAGE/iX databases with a goal to identify critical needs for
relaxing these limits to accommodate anticipated growth.  Although
there are several items such as items per database, paths per data set
which fall into the LIMITS category, our goal for this particular post
is to solicit user input for the current limit of a maximum of 1140
concurrent processes per USER LOGID.  This means that if LOGGING is
enabled for a database and the same LOGID is also used by other
subsystems, for an example KSAM/iX, a maximum of 1140 TurboIMAGE/iX
and/or KSAM/iX concurrent processes sharing the common LOGID can log
modification records to the user log file which corresponds to the LOGID.

What we want to know is as follows:

  Do you use User Logging, or used it in the past?
  If you are not currently using it, do you plan to use it in the future?
     (If your answer is NO to both questions, you may skip the rest of
      the questions, and reply to me directly [[log in to unmask]]. It is
      important for us to know if you don't use User Logging.)

  If you use User Logging, what is the main purpose--database recovery,
     audit, other?  Please be specific about 'other'.
  Do you feel a limit of 1140 is sufficient?
  If you feel 1140 is not sufficient, what would meet your needs in the
     near future and in the next 5 years?
  If you are not currently using USER LOGGING, but you did in the past, what
     is the main reason you stopped using it?
  If you use user logging, do you use the same LOGID for other subsystems
     as well, or do you normally have TurboIMAGE/iX LOGIDs for
     TurboIMAGE/iX related applications only?

Please reply by e-mail ([log in to unmask]) directly to me.

Thanks for your time and effort in answering the above question(s).  It will
help us tremendously in prioritizing our tasks.

Bharati Desai
IMAGE/SQL Project