HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 3

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 10:30:14 -0700
Russ writes:

> Greetings,
> functionality called RAW ( Read after Write) which was available, and =
> would seem to eliminate the need for running VSTORE after the Backup to =
> verify the tape. I called the Response Center, and surprise...they didn't =

I would hope that all DDS drives have a read-after-write function ...
but that doesn't remove the desirability of running VSTORE (or something)
on a *DIFFERENT* drive.  It's vital to validate that your backups
are readable on different drives, otherwise you could be making backups
that are readable only by your drive...and if the drive fails, you might
have a year's worth of useless backups.  (Yes, this has happened!)

BTW, the "=" on the end of your quoted lines are an indication that your
mail came in MIME format, and there wasn't a single <cr> in it...this means
that most mailers will display your text as one lonnggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
line.  In my case, elm didn't even break up the words intelligently...
just wrapping at column 132.

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html