HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 3

From:
Ed Milner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ed Milner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:01:16 -0600
I'd welcome any advice on a problem with performance that I'm trying to track down.

927LX , 192 Mb memory,
15 session users (Cognos Qtp,Quiz,Quick application),
1 client/server Listener job (Vendor is DISC. Product is OmniAccess)
TurboImage databases
MPE/ix 5.5

Overview:
--We are developing PC based systems that rely on a client/server architecture to  report and manipulate data on 927.

Communications Model:
--PC Application passes 'XL library name', 'function name', and function specific input data to a DLL.
--This DLL communicates over ethernet lan with the 'Listener Job' running on the 927.
--The 'Listener Job' spawns a process calling the function within the XL library passing the input data.
--The XL functions are written in Cobol and perform the appropriate database activity.
--The cobol function returns a string buffer with results, as necessary.
--The 'Listener Job' then sends the results back to the calling DLL where the PC application.

Comment:
--This model works great.  It is very fast with low overhead (in theory).
--We have been using this system in a single PC application for over a year without problems.

Problem:
--A second application has been implemented and response time for session users is going down the tubes.

Observations:
--All session users are affected, not just users of the same Image database.
--Only occurs when the 'Client' application is generating activity for the 'Listener' to process.
--Using Lund Performance Tool, SOS, the CPU is cranking at 100% with the 'Listener' job taking the biggest
  slice. Usually, > 40%

Step Already taken:
--Run the 'Listener' job in DS que instead of CS que.
--Setup the 'Listener' job so it will spawn processes to the DS que.
--Defragment and Compress the drives.
--Reorganize the Image databases.

Thanks
Ed Milner