HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 3

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 22:02:29 -0400
Chris Bartram writes,

> Some of you might be interested in this. For those that argue
> "spam doesn't
> cost anything", the CAUCE people put forth a good argument.

[great stuff snipped]

In addition to this, the cost of the bandwidth (which the recipient pays
for, if they have a leased line and/or other dedicated link), the server
space (disk space, processor time for the POP3 and SMTP processing of the
crap), and the time it takes to track the SOB down...  it all adds up.

CSILLC, by policy, considers SPAM/UCE to be a "THEFT OF SERVICES" (They are
using our facilities without paying for them).  As such we have and will
invoice each spammer we catch, US$500.00 for each UCE received, Net 15.  On
day 16, we refer these unpaid invoices to a collection agency (a good friend
who runs one) at a favorable rate to me --- they buy the receivable from me,
and turn the Pit Bulls loose.

Collection rates, you ask?  97%!  They (the spammers) are also reported to
Dun and Bradstreet and/or the "Big 3" Credit Reporting Agencies.  We have
had threats of lawsuits (which we pooh-pooh) and one actual suit has been
filed.  It was tossed out of court as frivilous with court costs and
attorney fees assessed against the Plaintiff (in this case, the spammer).

We plainly state on our site that we do this.  If a spammer dosen't see it,
then hopefully they will see this.  We hate it, will stomp it out, and don't
want their UCE even requesting our server.  Most of it is filtered, but,
like right now, there is this little SOB using an MCI dial-up account and
relaying this stuff from other SMTP servers illegally.  This one is proving
allusive, but once we catch them, their bill is currently up to US$7,500.00,
and I can't wait to send it.

SPAM costs us nothing?  Bull!  It costs us plenty.  Consider one last thing.
Spammers like to compare their garbage with the Junk Mail you get in your
home mailbox.  This is totally untrue.  Your home mailbox is actually the
property of the US Postal Service, and the mailer pays to have their junk
sent.  With e-mail, your mailbox is yours or your company's - and guess
what - you and your company pay for it.

Joe