HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 3

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:23:05 -0500
At 10:48 AM 4/21/98 -0800, Michael Berkowitz wrote:

>Hi
>How can I get password by intrinsic for account, group and user.
>-----
>Jacek Piskorz
-----------
>There is no simple intrinsic call that will return the passwords for any
>arbitrarily entered user, group and account.  I have been asking for such
>an intrinsic for years, to no avail.  I use the kludge method of doing a
>LISTUSER, LISTGROUP and LISTACCT with the :PASS option, into files
>and then reading the files to get the passwords.
>
>I have a COBOL subprogram that will work for MPE/iX and MPE/V.  It will
>take a user, group and account as input and return the three passwords,
>subject to normal MPE security.  E-mail me privately if you want it.

Amongst the many subroutines I've submitted to the CSL over the years was:
GETPASS for classic systems, and GETPASSWORD for MPE/iX.  Given a user,
group and account name they would return to the caller the passwords
providing the user was qualified to receive them (std MPE-type security
access).  The subroutines required PM to operate, as they obtain the
information directly from the directory structures.  If I recall, they also
signaled to the user if the passwords were encrypted, hence not returned
either.

You should be able to obtain these from Interex, but if not, let me know
privately and I'll try and locate them in my library.

/jf
                              _\\///_
                             (' o-o ')

                        Tuesday, April 21th

           Today in 1898 - The Spanish-American War began.

                            oooO  (    )
                             \_)