HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 3

From:
Peter Dougherty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Dougherty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:08:45 GMT
I have a problem when I transfer data from an ImageSQL database ( via
Oracle's Transparent Gateway for Image/SQL ) to our Oracle database.
Characters in the range ASCII 128 - 255 are being 'converted'. For
example, the character t ( lowercase o with circumflex ) ASCII 194 in
the Image/SQL database becomes B ( uppercase B ) ASCII 66 in the
Oracle database. It's as if the high order bit is not being used at
all ( 194 - 128 = 66 ). Is this something to do with parity ? What
should happen is that the gateway should see the ASCII character 194
coming in and NLS should translate it to ASCII 244 so the it is stored
correctly in the Oracle database, but it looks as though maybe the
eighth bit is being stripped before it even reaches the gateway, so
NLS doesn't bother trying to convert because it sees it as an
uppercase B.

Any suggestions ?

Gateway version 3.0.15.4
MPE/iX version 5.5