HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 3

From:
Costas Anastassiades <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Costas Anastassiades <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 04:11:11 +-300
Long filenames will be preserved no matter which DOS command you use (XCOPY, XCOPY32, COPY, MOVE etc.), so long as it is from a DOS *window* and not in DOS mode and so long as you use DOS commands that where included with the Windows95 installation.

As for the problems Jim Philips ran into after XCOPYing the disks, all I can say is "that's strange" ?! Sorry Jim, I didn't mean to prolong your agony but the XCOPY approach does/should/has work(ed) .... and so if you haven't had enough help already :)) ... read on. I have a number of questions for you. Apologies if these are obvious, no offense taken if they are not answered and I'd be happy to take this up in private email. The questions are :
Did you restore the original contents of the old drive (i.e. remove any changes made by previous unsuccessful attempts) before XCOPYing?
Does the PC still work properly with only the Old drive in it  (no D drive) ?
Which files (other then the email you mention) did you find where still being saved to the old drive ?
How far into the boot sequence does it get with only the New drive installed ?
Did you make the new drive bootable (i.e. active partition) ?
What is the boot sequence in the BIOS ?

However, I somehow fear evidence is mounting to the "uniqueness" of your configuration and predicament. A purpose built utility and a tried methodology both failed ...

Costas Anastassiades