HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 2

From:
John W Pickering <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 10 Apr 1998 09:54:57 -0600361_- Howdy,

Well now I've gone and done it. The scenario:

Download Mover (635) from the jazz website to my PC.
Use reflection to upload to the 3000 - as MANGER.SYS,PUB
in the POSIX shell.
Run Mover.
I screwed something up as Mover issued a junk message followed
by "not found" and then hung.
Ctl break key and abort. [...]49_10Apr199809:54:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 12:18:44 -0500
Esteemed forms experts ...

We continue to use Lasersoft (created by BSI, acquired by Unison, dropped
by Unison after their acquisition of Tymlabs and Formation) to create the
few forms we print from the 3k. Mostly this is because of inertia (if it
ain't broke ...) but also because any of the other packages seem to
require more complicated implementations and use. With Lasersoft we
create a spool file containing all of the graphics and forms as pcl
macros, one macro per form. This spool file is "parked" somewhere and
copied to any laserjet from which we want to print forms. The forms are
then overlaid (or is that underlaid? :-) by a single line of pcl at the
beginning of each spool file which invokes the appropriate macro. The
forms macros remain in the printer's memory until the printer is powered
off or some of Mickey$soft's (copyright DB) software casually walks all
over the printer's "permanent" memory. This allows the forms to be copied
to the printer only occasionally instead of with each spool file. For
invoices and purchase orders, which are printed singly and on request,
this represents a significant savings in bandwidth (x25 packets before
the wan). It also allows us to send the forms spool file to printers
attached to the 3k's of sister and cousin companies without them needing
to install or modify anything (meaning also that I only need one copy of
the software :-). I would be pleased to be corrected but it is my
impression that the other forms packages all require postprocessing of
the spool file or big environment files. Is this the case or am I
mistaken?

John Pickering
JWP Systems Inc.
Toronto