HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 2

From:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna Garverick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 15:58:43 -0700
Michael D. Hensley wrote:

> James Reynolds wrote:
> > My 928 has 5.5 loaded on it... FOS/SLT only.   I have remaining..  a
> > SubSys Tape (which came in today)..  and Express 3 tape...and the
> > Powerpatch 4 tape..
>
> Ok, the "Express 3" tape *is* a SubSys tape, in spite of the fact that it doesn't say
> "SUBSYS" anywhere on the tape label.  The big clue: pretty much any tape with your
> system handle on it is a SUBSYS tape.
>
> From recent experience re-installing 5.5, express 3, powerpatch 4 on a clean box several
> times (for testing porpoises), here's what you should do:
>
> 1) Find out what subsystems are on the "SUBSYS" tape and the "Express 3" tape.  If
> they aren't the same, call HP Contracts and make them FedEx you a proper "Express 3
> SUBSYS" tape with all of your subsystems on it.  Have fun!

if you have to do this -- make double sure that you have ALL your software on this tape.  hp
will consider this to be a 'rush' and i don't think the same procedures are followed for
creating this tape when compared to the 'standard' process.  (<sigh #1> did a 5.0 to 5.5pp4
update with a 'rush' tape...strange how it was there was no ns on the tape...)

> 2) Install the "Express 3 SUBSYS" tape as an "add-on SUBSYS".  Do NOT install
> PowerPatch 4 at the same time.  If some subsystem on the SUBSYS tape is not already
> on your system, PATCH/iX will not qualify an patches for that subsystem.  Major bummer.

i might be disagreeing here - but i'm not sure :-)  believe me, i *know* if you are going
from 5.0 to 5.5 you *want* to do the *whole* thing all at once - don't vary from what the
installation instruction say! (<sigh #2> got to do second updates on 3 machines (do the
math) because we did what mike is suggesting above)  major disclaimer: since james is going
from (i guess) one pp to another, none of my sob story may apply 8-]

> 3) After you complete installing the "Express 3 SUBSYS" tape as an "add-on SUBSYS",
> then install the "Power Patch 4" tape using Patch/iX.  Be sure to examine the list of
> patches that did not qualify (there is a filter for that), to see if there are any
> "enhancement patches" you want to force ("enhancement patches" don't qualify
> automatically, you have to force them).  You won't be able to force patches for
> subsystems you don't have (see point number 2).

and see my comment for point number 2.  been there, done that, got the scars       - d--
Donna Garverick     Sr. System Programmer