HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 2

From:
Rick LITTLE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick LITTLE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 11:05:00 -0400
We have successfully implemented the process of back-to-back DTCs to
support a Remote Console.  Below are the steps which allowed this process
to work:

1.  Connect the CPU to a nearby DTC using a 92219Q cable.  The connect point
    on our 9x7 is the remote modem port.  The DTC connection is a modem port.

2.  Configure the ACCESS PORT on the HP3000 for the proper baud rate and
    protocol.  We are using 9600 Baud and BELL protocol.  To configure the
    port (CTRL-B  >CA).  You must also ENABLE REMOTE (CTRL-B >ER).

3.  Within NMMGR you must configure the USERPORT screen.  The configuration
    we are using is LDEV 21 - BAUD 9600 - MODEM 0 - PARITY NONE

4.  Configure the HP3000 side DTC port within DTC Openview Manager to
    be a HOST port type.  Baud rate is set to 9600.
    You must then give the port a HOST NAME.  This is the name you will use
    in your connect statement at the DTC> prompt.

5.  Configure the Console side DTC port within Openview as a norma terminal
    with BAUD RATE 9600 and SWITCHING ENABLED and NO DEFAULT DESTINATION.

**  We needed to add a DTC IP Address, IP Router Address, and Subnet Mask
    to both of the DTCs used in this procedure.

*** Other configurations of the Access Port's Baud Rate and Protocol may work.

****The connection of the terminal to the DTC worked with a straight-through
    25 pin cable and we are currently using a 3 pin connect.

====At the terminal to be used as the console, press the RETURN key.
    The DTC> prompt appears - enter the connect command followed by the
    HOST NAME you assigned in step 4 above.
    Example - DTC > connect "yourhostname" (return)
    You may have to hit the break key to take the console.

Disclaimer - these steps are working in our Computer Center.  Slight variations
             may be needed in your environment.

Just maybe?