HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 2

From:
Sletten Kenneth W <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sletten Kenneth W <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 15:02:52 -0700
Nick after me:

<< Ken, wasn't that on the SIGIMAGE enhancement list (therefore
> not yet implemented) that all aaociated files of a daabase
> be  handled the same way the datasets are handled - as integral
> parts of the data base? >>

You are right that there are two items (#'s 27 & 28) still on
the SIGIMAGE Enhancement list in this area.  But they deal
with files that are or might be associated with a particular
IMAGE database like the schema, tool-specific data files, etc.
IMAGE B-Tree HFS files are integral parts of the database
itself (just like JUMBO details), which at least in my book is
a completely different deal than "associated files".

Since B-Trees can always be re-created by re-INDEXING, I
might buy an option to not have VSTORE check for them if
there was enough call for that feature.  But IMO there is no
doubt default should be to include B-Trees if they are present,
in whatever integrity checking TurboSTORE / VSTORE might
do.  And going on the theory that it's best to avoid proliferating
options unless necessary;  and the projection that B-Trees
will in most cases make up <= five percent of the total space
taken up by the database (ours take < three percent);  think
I will try and maintain that VSTORE ignoring the absence of
B-Trees that should be there when it checks for JUMBOs
and other datasets is a defect....

Ken Sletten