HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 1

From:
Garo K Akcelik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Garo K Akcelik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 10:06:55 -0800
Bruce,

I have a feeling you won't see that message again.
(at least not until next April fools)  ;o)

Garo

From: [log in to unmask] on 04/02/98 09:08 AM

Please respond to [log in to unmask]

To:   [log in to unmask]
cc:    (bcc: Garo K Akcelik/BCBSO/TBG)
Subject:  PJL, LaserJets and JetAdmin

Yesterday, many of our LaserJet printers as well as printers connected
to JetDirect boxes had an "interesting" message either on the display or
printed on the printer.  Instead of "00 READY" or "READY" we saw
00 READY 4 LOVE
on many LaserJets. On the LPQ475 connected to a JetDirect EX we saw:
%-12345X@PJL RDYMSG DISPLAY = "00 READY 4 LOVE"
%-12345X
I've talked with Richard Corn of RAC (and list member), who has helped me
understand what is happening.
The string (esc)%-12345X tells the printer that what follows will be a
PJL command.  PJL is yet another printer language like PCL.  So, my guess
is that in honor of April 1st somebody has discovered this and is trying
it out.
The questions I have for the group are:
1.  Has anyone else seen a similar "PJL attack"?
2.  Has anyone found a way to "protect" the printers?
OK, 00 READY FOR LOVE is fairly benign, but it could be/get worse.
We can duplicate this at will by using the MAC version of JetAdmin to
send a command to any printer it finds.  Placing a passord on the printer
with JetAdmin doesn't help.
TIA for any comments, help, or observations.
Bruce.
   Bruce J. Senn                             Phone:  (518) 388-6664
   Senior System Manager                     FAX:    (518) 388-6458
   Union College                   Internet:  [log in to unmask]
   Schenectady, NY 12308