HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 1

From:
Paul Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 22:38:23 -0400
I had this problem with a 925 that I converted to a 935 with a CPU board set
swap. Found out that an unamed broker had shipped me an 835 board set. The
right board set solved the problem. Can you boot up from disc disc?

John Clogg wrote:

> OK, here's a wierd one.  We upgraded our 996-600 to a 997-500
> recently, which involves replacing the processor boards, the upper bus
> converters and some power supply modules, as well as loading a new
> PDC version.  Since then we have been unable to boot from tape.  It gets
> to the "Interact with ISL?" question, we reply "Y" and nothing happens.  It
> will sit there indefinitely with no visible activity on discs or tape.
>
> I called the Response Center, who dispatched the field people.  We have
> tried different combinations of processor and memory boards, several
> different SLTs, including one from the factory, different media (DDS and
> 9-track), a new DDS drive, new DDS firmware, an older PDC rev, and
> connecting the DDS drive to different channels and different card cages.
>
> While I wait for the next idea from the Field Organization, I wonder
> whether anyone else has run into this.  Any info would be appreciated.
> At least this will make a good war story for the next SIGBAR meeting in
> San Diego...

* Paul Edwards                       HP 3000 Certified Consultant *
* Paul Edwards & Associates                   1506 Estates Way    *
* Email: [log in to unmask]                     Carrollton TX 75006 *
* Phone: (972) 242-6660                       Fax: (972) 446-9022 *