HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 1

From:
Dirickson Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dirickson Steve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 12:08:20 -0700
        <<All this discussion concerning the setting and changing of the
system clocks has started me thinking and that in itself is scary.  Here
in Maryland, USA we just sprang the clocks forward 1 hour to Eastern
Daylight Time.

        The only process we did was to run the utility SETCLOCK with the
parm of TIMEZONE=W4:00   The system clock moved immediately and the
clock which is read by Speedware also is correct.  AND when I run the
program SHOWCLKS.PUBXL.TELESUP all looks good with GMT and MPE System
Time and the offset.  But, the current value of Time Zone(TZ) variable
is NOT ASSIGNED

        Am I missing something, why should we concern ourselves with the
TZ value? I do believe this has never been assigned and things seem
fine.>>

WRT "why should we concern ourselves...", see a previous posting.

WRT "things seem fine", TZ defaults to EST5EDT, so you lucked out.
People in other time zones would have the situation where a C program
would get different results from ctime() than from calling CLOCK(), and
similar inconsistencies.

Steve