HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 1

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 12:46:28 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> All this discussion concerning the setting and changing of the system
> clocks has started me thinking and that in itself is scary.  Here in Maryland,
> USA we just sprang the clocks forward 1 hour to Eastern Daylight Time.

Hey, they did here in Virginia too! ;-)

> The only process we did was to run the utility SETCLOCK with the parm
> of TIMEZONE=W4:00   The system clock moved immediately and the clock which
> is read by Speedware also is correct.  AND when I run the program
> SHOWCLKS.PUBXL.TELESUP all looks good with GMT and MPE System Time and the
> offset.  But, the current value of Time Zone(TZ) variable is NOT ASSIGNED
>
> Am I missing something, why should we concern ourselves with the TZ value?
> I do believe this has never been assigned and things seem fine.

Here's what we do;

we created a file in pub.sys called "tz". It's a one-line file;

SETVAR TZ "EST5EDT"

We then added a :XEQ TZ.PUB.SYS to all our system's option logon UDCs.

also, our auto-changing timezone job (as posted on the list by Frank the other
day) does the following (slightly modified from what was posted):

!if hpday = 1 and hpmonth = 10 and hpdate > 24 then
!  SETCLOCK TIMEZONE = W5:00
!  FILE TIMEFILE=TZ.PUB.SYS,OLD
!  ECHO SETVAR TZ "EST5EST" > *TIMEFILE
!  TELLOP *********************************************
!  TELLOP Changing the system clock to STANDARD TIME.
!  TELLOP The clock will S L O W   D O W N until
!  TELLOP we have fallen back one hour.
!  TELLOP *********************************************
!elseif hpday = 1 and hpmonth = 4 and hpdate < 8 then
!  SETCLOCK TIMEZONE = W4:00
!  FILE TIMEFILE=TZ.PUB.SYS,OLD
!  ECHO SETVAR TZ "EST5EDT" > *TIMEFILE
!  TELLOP Changing the system clock to DAYLIGHT TIME.
!  TELLOP The clock jumped ahead one hour.
!endif

That (in addition to setting the timezone offset in the clock) takes care
of the TZ variable. Set it up once and never worry about it again. :-)

               -Chris Bartram

(remove "nospam" from address to reply directly)