HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 1

From:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 05:30:53 -0400
Okay, here's another weird one for you-all:

Early this morning (about 1:30AM EST), our HP3000 918 went down.
Since I'm down here in El Paso and the computer is in Ohio, all
I could tell was that the 3000 was down, but all the other network
devices (like the router and PC's on the other side of the network)
were up.  Since the router is physically in the same cabinet as
the 3000, I expected the worst.  So I had to call out my assistant
and have her drive in to work and check things out.  What she
found was the 3000 sitting there with nary an LED lit.  I mean
everything was dead, and I don't mean D-E-A-D as in the cute
display you get when the system crashes, but DEAD as in not one
electron was flowing through the old circuits.  Even the UPS
had no power.  I had my assistant check some things (like make
sure that there was power to everything else, and making sure
that the switch was in the "on" position, etc.).  What fixed
it was pulling the plug out of the wall and re-inserting it.
Now our computer is a 220 VAC model, and the plug is one of
those twist-lock types, so the plug didn't fall out, nor was
it even loose when she checked it.  But just breaking and
making the connection again was enough to restore power.

So what say ye?  Did some nefarious soul purposely unplug
my faithful 3000?  What could cause the system to go down
(in what I *assume* was a power fail) when it was still
plugged in?  Obviously the circuit breaker wasn't tripped
or just unplugging and plugging it in again wouldn't have
done a thing.  Is this something I can check on after the
fact via the system log files?

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Oh, and Lars, I did not report this to the HPRC, because
we only have Monday through Friday, 8-5 support. :-)

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
Voice: (915) 860-9933                   Therm-O-Link of Texas, Inc.
  Fax: (915) 860-9936                   1295 Henry Brennan
Email: [log in to unmask]       El Paso, Texas   79936