HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 1

From:
Chris Breemer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 14:30:11 +0100
Hi all,

This is in response to an inquiry on HP3000-L. For some reason I
can't find it in here. Are hp3000-l and comp.sys.hp.mpe not mirrored ?

The question posted by Mark Bixby was:

Does anybody on the list use UNIFACE on MPE ? Is the full functionality
available?

Yes, I use it. AAMOF I develop it. The full functionality has been
available in both version 5 and 6. However in version 7 (due to ship
next month, at least for MPE), MPE has been repositioned as a
server-only platform. This means you can access data on the HP3000
(in TurboIMAGE, Allbase or KSAM) from any UNIFACE client application.
The server on the HP3000 uses TCP sockets and works in
the POSIX domain and is activated by the inetd. All nice and UNIX'y ;-)

Mark's other tentative question was on performance. I'll pass on that
one. Though I've heard it say that the TurboIMAGE driver performs
really well. We use the native IMAGE API, not Image/sql or odbc.

If anyone wants more info, please contact [log in to unmask]

--
Kind regards,

        Chris Breemer           [log in to unmask]
        Compuware Europe B.V.   http://www.compuware.com