HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 1

From:
"Carl E. Ruth II" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carl E. Ruth II
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 19:13:27 GMT
On Tue, 31 Mar 1998 12:22:31 +0100, Alan Yeo <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>I'm trying to identify a current model HP Line Printer (i.e one that is
>still supported by HP) that will print on at least three part continuous
>stationery, but that also has an EAN 13 bar-code printing font.
>
>If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.
>Alan Yeo
>[log in to unmask]    Just because you're paranoid
>Phone +44 1684 291710   it doesn't mean someone isn't!.
>Fax   +44 1684 291712

The best one that I know of is the LPQ style printers.  The only
problem with them is that they are not CHEAP. The quality of the
printer is excellent.  This printer series use a PCL 2 style font that
gives the output a NLQ quality.

While I acknowledge that support from HP is extremely important, I
have found (in my environment) that for printers that you can do
yourself and your company wonders by going with 3rd-party support.
Now I know this may be considered sacrilege by some, but, in the past
few years I have seen the resources that HP devotes to maintaining
printers dwindle to dangerously low levels while they still continue
to raise the price on the printers they do support.

A couple years ago I said "enough is enough!"  Thankfully the Boss I
had at the time was willing to let me have the time needed to do a
CAREFUL study of the available 3rd - party vendors.  Now I will not
fib and say it was easy, but I was able to find a national vendor that
consistently provides twice the support at less than half the cost.
(4hour and next day)

IMO you would be better off with 3 good refurbished  HP2564b series
printers and GOOD 3rd party on-site contract than with buying one HP
LPQ 800 printer.

(prices are in USA dollars)

Just something to consider.

-----