HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 1

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 15:14:45 -0500
Stan asks...

(and on a Friday, I'm only going to hit just one piece of this reply from
Stan...)

> Am I alone in wishing we could wean people off LISTFILE?

I think that to get people off LISTF (which I think is what you meant)...
the command will have to be taken out completely --- the command file needs
to be purged from the SYS account (it's a command file now, right?)

Too many people, myself included, just type LISTF by default... hell, I even
find myself entering it to look for POSIX files, and then hitting myself in
the head and saying DUH!  People are going to use what they are comfortable
with... and LISTF is one MPE command that's been around SO long, that people
are really comfortable with it...

Now, that said - I'm not advocating updating both LISTF and LISTFILE.
LISTFILE is the *official* MPE command, and LISTF was kept around as a
command file for backward compatibility.  How much is HP committed to
backward compatibility in this case?  I could live with the changes in
LISTFILE only, but again, that's me...  not the other 50,000+ MPE users in
the world.

(and speaking of "world" - kill the commas... that's a no brainer.  We, here
in the Western Hemisphere use a comma for a thousands separator -- European
and other users use a dot.  Instead of getting into what's Politically
Correct, just ditch it all together, but line it up under the "ones"
column -- Stan's right on that one -- don't make the same mistake they made
in Unix).

Happy Weekend all...

Joe