HP3000-L Archives

April 1998, Week 1

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 14:11:05 -0500
Denys asks us to ponder...

> - It's a question of attitude. If you know, if you just know, if
> you really
> know you are going to have trouble with the OS, you will.

Yep...

> - For as long as I can remember, the world has been looking for a single
> operating system which lets people share data and software.  We are pretty
> much on the way with Windows, so why are there cries of anguish about MS
> being a monopoly because everyone in the hearing room uses Windows?

And that's what I thought was laughable... even the Justice geeks had
Windows 95 Laptops!  I mean, if they were toting Powerbooks, I wouldn't have
gotten my laugh for the day <hehe>

> - I think a good answer from Bill Gates would have been, "How many people
> in this room have started using the Internet when they got Windows 95?"

At least half of the people in the room, if not more, would have stood up...
Especially if they got started with Win95/Build 950a.

> - We want to break up Microsoft's monopoly as computer hardware and
> software prices keep falling.  Yet we do not say a word when the
> government's monopolistic management of Medicare causes health care prices
> to climb through the roof.

Please, don't go there... I just opened a separate IRA to fund my own
Medicare, because I firmly believe it ain't gonna be around when I retire...
(Retire?  What's that?  By that time, the mandatory retirement age will be
90 or something <hehe>

> - On April 1, 2 days ago, your shiny new Pentium MMX laptop was rendered
> obsolete.  The Mobile Pentium II (Deschutes class) was released.  How fi
> tting that an entire class of expensive laptops be made obsolete on April
> Fool's day.

... and this day was forecast at least two months ago, and blasted all over
CNet, as well as all of the financial pages... that Intel was going to drop
the MMX line in favor of the Pentium II.  If people who are in this business
were caught off guard, they weren't paying attention.

Too much pondering for a Friday... I will end with this though, since Denys
likes to correct my spelling -- in the subject - it's "random"... "randoim"
is how they say it in New York City <g>

Happy Weekend all,
Joe