HP3000-L Archives

March 1998, Week 5

From:
WirtAtmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WirtAtmar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 11:03:53 EST
Ted writes:

> > >  [QCTerm] won't even make Telnet connections?
>
>  I'm afraid I have to agree with Doug on this one.  I'll try to come up with
>  few more tuits to check out the debug traces on this, but QCTerm will not
>  connect to my 3000, which is on the same subnet.  I have to connect to a
>  UN*X
>  box and then telnet to the 3000 from there.  I have, so far as I know, the
>  latest, or pretty much latest telnet patches from HP (we're on 5.5_04) and
>  QCTerm still does not connect direct in either standard or advanced mode.

I tried calling you, Ted, but your line has been busy for quite some time now.
Call when you get a chance [(800) AICS-INC] and we'll get you connected.

The problem has to be wholly local to your situation. Because we don't keep
count of how many people actually have QCTerm, and because Telnet is
relatively new, I don't have an accurate count of how many people actually
have made Telnet connection, but it has to be well over a hundred by now.

During our testing of Telnet, five organizations made their HP3000s open to us
so we could Telnet in at some distance, Neil Harvey in South Africa being the
most distant. We have never had any trouble at all, other than sufficient
bandwidth.

One user in Australia did write and ask a similar problem a few days ago. The
IP/domain name list in the configuration menu is a pick list (we programmed it
up in this manner so that QCTerm remembers your last five telnetted
addresses).. You have to type the name of the host in, followed by a CR to set
the name into the pick list before you click OK. From her note, I gather the
CR wasn't being done.

We may change that behavior so that that attribute won't be as confusing (even
though it may only confuse one person out of a hundred). Even small confusions
are what we need to know -- and what we want to get rid of.

Anyway, call when you get a chance.

>  > >  [It] does not work with Smith Gardner MACS package,
>  > That comes as news to me. However, if anyone should find any program that
>  > the QCTerm does not work perfectly with, please let us know.
>
>  Once again, I've got to research it and get the debug stuff together to
send
>  to you, but it doesn't seem to work with the screens from Bi-Tech, either.

Please do. Perfection is the minimum goal here. The smallest discrepancy is of
great interest to us.

>  > Finally, Ted Ashton wrote:

>  Hmm... Wonder how Netscape and Tera Term are programmed.  They both *act*
> like
>  child forms when you say "open a new . . .", but Alt-F4 does work in both
>  cases, closing only the current window.  Are y'all using Alt-F4 for
> something
>  else, or could it be a synonym for Cntl-Q?

I doubt that they are child forms. They are most likely duplicate parent
forms, each living an independent existence of their own -- and have to be
killed separately.

> Oh, and to whoever it was who had printing
>  trouble with MS92, that's fixed as of version 3.4 subversion 32 (we now
have
>  subversion 36 and it works well for us).

Subversion?

"Yes, I knew the evil Dr. Zoltak, well versed in subversion that one," Tom
swiftly said.

Wirt Atmar