HP3000-L Archives

March 1998, Week 5

From:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 09:56:03 -0500
Thus it was written in the epistle of WirtAtmar,
> Doug Greenup writes:
>
> > >Wirt's amazingly low-priced and full-featured emulator! Works over
> >  >wires, through walls and locked doors, and over oceans.
>
> Doug lists a number of things that he believes are serious defects in QCTerm:

And Wirt replies with various comments . . .

All of which sum up to the fact that QCTerm is 1) work in progress, 2) good
work in progress :-) and that Doug's claim that QCTerm is not (at least not
yet) "full-featured" is true, but that that isn't a big surprise :-).  I'm
pleased by what I've seen of QCTERM (and yes, I also like the 132-column mode
better than the other ways of doing it I've seen), but I'm not ready to move
my users over to it, and I don't think that Wirt is expecting that.  Anywho.
Wirt, I do have a few comments still, though.

> >  [QCTerm] won't even make Telnet connections?

I'm afraid I have to agree with Doug on this one.  I'll try to come up with a
few more tuits to check out the debug traces on this, but QCTerm will not
connect to my 3000, which is on the same subnet.  I have to connect to a UN*X
box and then telnet to the 3000 from there.  I have, so far as I know, the
latest, or pretty much latest telnet patches from HP (we're on 5.5_04) and
QCTerm still does not connect direct in either standard or advanced mode.

> >  [It] does not work with Smith Gardner MACS package,
>
> That comes as news to me. However, if anyone should find any program that the
> emulator QCTerm does not work perfectly with, please let us know.

Once again, I've got to research it and get the debug stuff together to send
to you, but it doesn't seem to work with the screens from Bi-Tech, either.

> However, based on user comments received, primarily from Ted Ashton, the
> numeric pad ENTER key will be allowed to be defined as an auxillary block mode
> ENTER key. Look for that in the next release (currently scheduled for Monday).

YES!!!!!!!!!!

> Actually, so far only one person has called. Everyone else has corresponded by
> e-mail -- and those correspondences have come from all over the world -- and
> all have been answered in just a few hours. Support is something we take very
> seriously.

I'll have to add my vote to that one.  I have gotten excellent support both
from Minisoft (of whom we are a customer) and AICS (even when we weren't).

> Finally, Ted Ashton wrote:
>
> > > Also it would
> > >  be nice to be able to set QCTerm to go away when I logoff.
> >
> >I can handle having it not go away, it's a minor thing.  I found it
> irritating,
> >though, that when, upon discovering that it wasn't going to disappear on it's
> >own, I hit ALT-F4 (the usual Windows sequence to make things go away) it
> >refused to leave.
>
> QCTerm's terminal emulator is programmed as a "child" form. The "parent" is
> the opening screen (the petroglyphs). ALT+F4 works there, as it does on any
> parent form, but it doesn't work when only a child form is visible.

Hmm... Wonder how Netscape and Tera Term are programmed.  They both *act* like
child forms when you say "open a new . . .", but Alt-F4 does work in both
cases, closing only the current window.  Are y'all using Alt-F4 for something
else, or could it be a synonym for Cntl-Q?

My compliments both to AICS and Minisoft who have both done good work.  I do
hope that they both enjoy success.  Oh, and to whoever it was who had printing
trouble with MS92, that's fixed as of version 3.4 subversion 32 (we now have
subversion 36 and it works well for us).

Ted
--
Ted Ashton ([log in to unmask]), Info Serv, Southern Adventist University
The world needs heroes and it's better they be harmless men like me than