HP3000-L Archives

March 1998, Week 4

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 22:13:24 +0100
If you attended the recent IPPP session (Interex Posix Porting Panel,
not to be confused with IEEE, of course ;-) then you might also have
heard that porting Unix app's to MPE/iX is neither art, not science
nor black magic...

To verify this thesis I have recently started to give the web search
engine ht://dig from http://www.sdsu.edu a porting try. And it seems
that by using the two most important tools, the GNU C++ compiler from
Mark Klein (this time it really is a C++ application) and the Posix
Porting Guide from Mark Bixby, it turns out as a doable task!

I have an early prototype on my 3000/920 (have you ever heard people
complain about a 918DX with 64 MB memory being too slow? ;-) and it
seems that it successfully indexed a set of about 800 documents with
about 20000 keywords (the Apache/iX default docs and the Web Starter
Kit default docs, which happens to include NCSA and Lynx sources :-)
and also is able to search them successfully...

As I have never used ht://dig before (not even on Unix, hehehe), I'd
really appreciate to find someone who has some experience with it and
would be willing to pick up a prototype and exercise it a little bit.
Of course, I'd also be glad to learn tips and tricks for HtDig setup.

Any volunteers to take the risk (of running the early prototype)?

Lars.

(Thanks to Mark Klein for GCC/G++ and to Mark Bixby for the PPGuide!)