HP3000-L Archives

March 1998, Week 4

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 12:38:57 -0500
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> > >Try www.minisoft.com.  It isn't as elegant as Reflection, but it is a lo> t
> > >cheaper.
> >
> > To which Ron replied:
> >
> > >... and a pain on performance!!!
> >
> > Care to expound on that statement, Ron?
> >
> > I've used both Reflection and MiniSoft, and have found MiniSoft to be >
> > able to do everything Reflection could do.  I haven't noticed any >
> > performance hit, either on the PC or the HP, so I'd like more >
> > information.

I can't speak for Ron, but having done some side-by-side comparisons; the
terminal emulation doesn't seem notably slower/faster in either - especially
since the latest versions of R1 have slowed down considerably (especially when
you enable hot-spots in 6.0 of R1) but I can state that if you do alot of
downloading, R1 has MS92 beat badly... file transfers I've done over VT
sessions consistently show R1's file transfer at 4-6 *times* faster than MS92s
(using both products latest host programs).

While I'd recommend MS92 on a price/performance basis for terminal emulation,
if you have to do alot of file transfers, you NEED R1.

            -Chris Bartram