HP3000-L Archives

March 1998, Week 4

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 08:48:46 -0600
X-no-Archive:yes
<begin plug>
Gentle HP 3000 Listers,

At IPROF this past week, HP informed the attendance they had made available
to 3rd party vendors, API access to the TurboStore product.  Hicomp has
taken advantage of these HP-supported APIs thus giving our MPE offering the
capabilities of TurboStore.

We have taken our world class HP-UX version of Hiback and ported it back to
MPE, through the POSIX interface.  The port was extremely easy as HP-CSY
has done a great job on this interface. We then added the TurboStore API
calls and we are now offering the MPE component for our Enterprise backup
strategy.  MPE takes its rightful place besides HP-UX, SUN, AIX, DIGITAL
UNIX, IRIX, various other UNIX flavors, Windows NT and Novell, in the roles
of both client and server for enterprise backup.

Further, a Hiback node, be it client or server, is able to store to and
restore from, an attached tape drive.  The HP 3000 can thus have its
backups sent to its local devices (tapes, DLTs, etc...) or stored on remote
devices such as StorageTek silos and various DLT libraries attached to
other Hiback servers.

Hiback TX (TurboStore, POSIX) is easily accessible using the same Windows
and Motif GUI which is currently being used to access Hiback on UNIX and
NT.  So from your PC or workstation, you can access all Hiback platforms
and perform stores and restores using the simplicity of the drill down,
drag and drop GUI.  Very useful for restoring selected files.

Hiback TX can also controlled by Hibars for full Enterprise-wide data
center automation.

Current Hiback/iX customer will be offered Hiback TX at no cost, should
they decide to switch.  Of course, Hiback TX will read current Hiback/iX
tapes.

For more information, I invite you to visit www.hicomp.com where further
information will be posted very shortly.
<end plug>

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
HICOMP America, Inc.
(800) 323-8863  (281) 288-7438         Fax: (281) 355-6879
denys at hicomp.com                             www.hicomp.com