HP3000-L Archives

March 1998, Week 3

From:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 08:56:10 -0500
On Thu, 19 Mar 1998 17:41:13 -0500, Brian Duncombe <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

>You seem to be missing the point!

Well, I don't have the original post (and I've never figured out how to
get posts from the archive!), but IIRC the original poster was talking
about advancing the system date for Y2K testing and had FlexiBase
fail (actually it expired) because the system date was after the
expiration date of the software.

Then Michael Hensley wrote:

>With HourGlass, you can test year-2000 compliance now, and continue to run
>your "expired" applications after the year 2000 arrives.

Which to me means I could run HourGlass now and have it return an earlier
date to whatever software I have that has an expiration date, thereby
defeating and circumventing the software license.  This is what I was
responding to, that is, the seeming lack of disregard for software
licensing terms by another software vendor.

BTW, I wonder if HourGlass has an expiration date?  If so, I guess you
could get one of the other date manipulation utilities and "fool"
HourGlass into thinking it hadn't expired yet.  Right? :-)

Oh, and Brian also wrote:

>Flexibase is one of that class of programs that changes database
>capacities, structures, etc.

Although I knew that, it isn't germane to the discussion of whether it
is ethical or legal to circumvent software licensing restrictions.

>I believe that what is being asked is whether or not Flexibase will
provide
>data conversion tools to "reformat" items in the database(s) for Y2K.

I really don't remember that being an issue at all.  I think the issue
was that the original poster didn't know who was maintaining FlexiBase,
if indeed, anyone was.

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]      Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: (330) 527-2124                   P. O. Box 285
  Fax: (330) 527-2123                   Garrettsville, Ohio  44231