HP3000-L Archives

March 1998, Week 2

From:
John Dunlop <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Dunlop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 14:57:15 +0100
The  following  is  reproduced  (with  permission) from an article by Peter
Bradley  that  appeared  in  the  February issue of the HPCUA (HP3000 Users
Group  in  the  UK)  magazine. I have only reproduced what I considered the
relevant  portions  in  an  attempt to save bandwidth but it still is a bit
long,  apologies  to everyone about the bandwidth but the article is not in
electronic form anywhere. I felt it was relevant because it shows that some
of  HP's  management  are actively quoting some of the views that have been
posted on this list.

 Jean-Paul  Ferouelle  is  one  of  three  HP  Europe  executives  who  has
responsibility  for marketing the HP3000 - managing Southern Europe and the
UK.

Jean-Paul  Ferouelle has the job of running with the HP3000 ball, as one of
the    three    European    champions    for   the   Cinderella   of   HP's
platforms....Ferouelle  has  heard  it  all before: "In 1986, it was Unix -
forget  the  past  -  its  Unix  forever. Now it's NT forever." He said one
result  of  the  rush  to  Unix  was that it stopped a lot of investment in
partnership  relations.  "Most  developers  couldn't  run  the  two systems
together,  so  they forgot the HP3000. Sometimes we even encouraged them to
go  to  Unix.  IBM didn't - they continued to invest in both Unix and their
proprietary offerings."
     Ten  years  on, Unix's crown is being threatened by NT, but "there are
thousands  of  HP3000  customers  -  somehow still loyal". Recognising that
loyalty  at  last  - and no doubt the healthy revenue stream it generates -
HP,  under  the  charismatic  leadership of worldwide general manager Harry
Sterling,  is  at last muttering those magic words : "Cinders, you shall go
to the ball." Bit by bit Sterling and his team have put in place a strategy
that  ensures  there  are  no disincentives - and plenty of incentives (see
918DX  developer  box  specification - JD) - to sticking to the HP3000. So,
HP3000  and  HP9000  versions  of  each new platform, 64-bit functionality,
Internet   access,  interoperability  with  Unix  and  NT,  even  a  strong
advertising campaign - and not just to the converted - all these steps have
been taken in pursuit of protecting users' HP3000 investment.
     Ferouelle  says  the  applications  are  the key and accepts that if a
company  is  going  for a new solution that's not on the HP3000 then that's
it,  "and  we  are  trying  to  keep  most customers on the HP3000 - but if
they're  looking  for  non-HP3000  opportunities, we want them to stay with
HP."
     He  smoothly  campaigns for the HP3000, quite happy to bash its rivals
en  route: "The HP3000 is easy to run so people want to stay with it. We've
had  people  who went to Unix and then came back to the HP3000; there are a
lot  of  stories  about  the  complexities  of  Unix,  its  definitely more
difficult to run than MPE."
     ....Funnily enough, the Millennium is the ill wind that may be blowing
some  good  to  the HP3000: "If you are on an HP3000 and pondering the move
now  to  Unix,  our  advice  is  not  to.  There's  no  way to do the whole
implementation with all the testing in two years."
     .....He  sees  his  task as identifying all potential partners for the
platform:  "But  Im not interested in box-movers, I want skills in products
and  a  willingness to do business with the HP3000." One of his tasks is to
fine-tune  the  delivery  structure  across his patch - he aims to have one
distributor and about three or four partners in each country by year-end.
     .....He  accepts  that  if a customer chooses "a wonderful application
running  somewhere  else",  then  they'll  move,  but  believes  "the  real
challenge  is  to  come  up  with  new solutions - as soon as a customer is
satisfied  with  a  solution,  the  HP3000  will  be there".  He says HP is
committed  to  a  30 per cent per annum improvement of the platform. "We're
developing  the OS to 64 bit functionality, we're developing SMP, hardware,
software, we're doing everything to make the HP3000 communicate."....
     ...."MPE  will  survive  NT.  I'm  not  even sure Unix won't be in big
difficulties in the next five years. But MPE will be there..."

A Note from the Editor of the HPUser magazine :

HP User is a publication of the UK HP Computer Users' Association.
The UK Annual Conference and Exhibition is being held at the International
Centre, Telford, Shropshire (30 miles west of Birmingham) on September
22-23, 1998. The programme will address the concerns of MPE, UX and NT
users. For Conference information, please email: [log in to unmask]
The programme is still being formulated, so anyone interested in presenting
a paper is invited to send an abstract by March 30 to: [log in to unmask]
HP User is free to residents of Europe; annual subscription is 30 pounds
sterling to rest of world, payable by credit card or sterling cheque. For
subscription form, please email: [log in to unmask]