HP3000-L Archives

February 1998, Week 4

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 01:09:13 +0100
At 07:42 24.02.1998 -0800, you wrote:
>Does anyone know how I can retreive data from my HP3000 968 to my pc
>using Excel or Word ? If so what ODBC drivers do I need and where can I
>get them ? Do I have to do anything on the HP3000 ?

While Michael Anderson already was so kind to mention Samba/iX for
file and/or printer sharing in regard to PC integration, you might
probably also want to have a close look at ODBC in your context.

Especially the 16/32-bit ODBCLink/SE released with 5.5 Express-3 a while
ago. You should be able to find a PCL and/or Postscript version of the
related manual on http://jazz.external.hp.com somewhere under "Papers",
I believe.

In a Nutshell... You download a self-extracting archive file from the
ODBCSE.SYS group on your 3000 to your PC, explode it and run setup.exe
to install the ODBCLink/SE driver for the ODBC driver manager. You can
then define datasources to access IMAGE/SQL databases via ODBC.

There are also 3rd party solutions for ODBC providing more features
than the bundled ODBCLink/SE e.g. access to MPE files, KSAM files etc.
but to get started the free stuff should be sufficient in most cases.

  http://www.minisoft.com  (ODBC/32)
  http://www.csllink.com   (Linkway)
  http://www.mbfoster.com  (ODBCLink)

The above URLs are from memory. Let me know in case they don't work.

Regards, Lars.

PS: You might also want to order one of those free Technology Close-Up
    video tapes where George Stachnik and his guests did an excellent
    job of explaining ODBC and related 3000 topics. Very good material
    to be used as self-paced intro! (http://www.hp.com/go/tapes)