HP3000-L Archives

February 1998, Week 4

From:
AJCTHOMAS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AJCTHOMAS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 19:11:04 EST
In a message dated 98-02-26 12:55:38 EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 One of our affiliates has just ordered a new 3K and seems to have been
 persuaded to get
 Mirrored Disk/XL. I have no personal experience of this and none of the
 other 11 Affiliates
 use it.

 Can anyone out there tell me the pros and cons? The system tends to be
 supervised by
 a "Super-User" rather than an IS person so we try to keep things as simple
 as possible
 operationally. To me it sounds like overkill.. The system runs maybe 7-8
 users and we have
 Image Logging switched on. We do full backups once in every 24 hours so
 even if the disks
 crash we would lose max 24 hours data which is no big deal.

 Thanks in advance

 Mark Wilkinson.
 Sony Pictures Europe. >>

Sounds like you answered your own question Mark - seems a bit of overkill in
that scenario,  however Mirror/iX works very nicely for us and it is not
expensive, considering the price of 2 Gig drives.  I don't believe there is
any overhead but I don't have a comparison, having installed a new processor
with the mirrored discs.

It is nice to have the warm fuzzies about your data :-)