HP3000-L Archives

February 1998, Week 4

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 15:13:54 -0600
Nick remarks:

Monitor??  What do you need a monitor for?  You talk to the computer
(at your waist, like a cell phone - or maybe it IS the cell phone
combined with a computer) through a mike and it talks to you
through earphones.  At home or at the office you plug in a monitor,
 if you need to see something.

Maybe, the computer will even read your mind (:-)).

Regards,

Nick Demos  [log in to unmask]

Well, yes I suppose you may be correct.  In the fullness of time the
computer may read my mind, (I would hope no one would be eavesdropping.)
But I really do not anticipate that happening within the next 3-4 years.  I
fear we may be stuck with monitors on PCs, albeit with voice recognition,
at that time.  Voice is nice, but I find the mouse is still the fastest,
easiest way to point, select, and generally navigate on a visual interface.
 The folks at Xerox PARC really came up with something nice.

Speaking of which, I have tried most of the pointing devices on the market,
from touchpad to trackball, from stylus to pointing stick, and I must say
the mouse with the wheel, the intellimouse from Microsoft is the best
all-around pointing device.

BTW, Nokia has a cellphone which you open like a clam to reveal a keyboard
and other things.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys P. Beauchemin
Hicomp America, Inc.
(800) 323-8863   (281) 288-7438  Fax:(281) 355-6879
denys at hicomp.com       www.hicomp.com