HP3000-L Archives

February 1998, Week 4

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:48:16 -0800
Shawn writes:
> 9/97 I get a demo of HourGlass from Allegro and review it.  I was told
> that this was a production release of the software.  During the course
> of reviewing both products I found a number of defenciencies that I
> reported to both companies, and both of them pretty much implemented
> everything I suggested, enhancing the value of both products.

Shawn provided some excellent suggestions, which we implemented!

(BTW, I like receiving enhancement suggestions!)

> HourGlass didn't even have the most basic logging features until I asked

True...and thanks again for suggesting them!

> The HourGlass
> manual also made it clear that you tested Time Machine: the "Quick Start"
> section demonstrated areas where Time Machine was deficient, and included
> the invitation to "Try some of these test[s] with other products".

:)

> I just went back and re-read my review of HourGlass, and I must say that
> it was very complimentary.

Yes...as I posted.  I liked the review.

> About the only negatives were the price and the way the manual read.

manual: the drawback of letting us technical types try to write a manual :)

See, Pat, I *said* Shawn's a journalist!  :)

> A little competition just makes the products stronger, and is better for
> users.

True!

I first saw that in a big way in the Amiga computer market...there were two C
compilers (Aztec and Lattice), and both continually tried to better the
other.  The same thing is true for other computers nowdays.

We're still working on adding new features too :)

> I think there's room for all three products to help users test for
> Y2K compliance.

Four, if you count the free SETDATE.

> Any users who want to judge for themselves which product is most cost-
> effective and useful should contact all vendors and demo their products.

yep.

TimeMachine at www.solution-soft.com

HourGlass at www.allegro.com

SETDATE at jazz, HP's 3000 on the net.

I think what may have happened is that Paul and Gavin saw only a 5 week or
1 week time gap between a review and the appearance of TimeWarp.  It wasn't
obvious that the time gap between reviews and "I'll write a competitor" was
much longer, probably because of the long lead time for getting the review
printed in Interact.

Anyway, thanks again for the nice review of HourGlass and the enhancement
suggestions ... which you're still free to make, if you want to :)

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html