HP3000-L Archives

February 1998, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 19:00:25 -0500
Murphy, Steve wrote:

> A few of our users work from home and dial into the "network" to
> communicate with our HP3000 and NetWare 4.11 via TCP/IP for the 3000
> and IPX/SPX for NetWare.  I like the way the JetDiect prints over
> TCP/IP with the 3000 and thought that might be "easy" to emulate.  I
> had not thought about the LPR/LPD option and will probably try that.

Addendum to my last note, the suggestion of slave printing serial
solutions would also be possible on networked connections.  Which
brings up another point...

Many of these "slave printing" solutions presume some minimal
intelligence on the printer end (like formfeed ^L, etc) if not an
outright Laserjet (PCL).  I would warn you that many attached printers
(postscript, newer DeskJets "for windows") have problems with this as
all of the intelligence is in the print driver, and the result may not
be exactly what you expected :-(

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>