HP3000-L Archives

February 1998, Week 4

From:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 14:23:10 -0800
On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, toback2 wrote:

> Also, the bandwidth of a visual interface is at least an order of
> magnitude higher than voice. Well-trained people can understand spoken
> words at up to about 200 words/minute, but without training, that number
> is more like 120. The visual system can process reading material at 2-5
> times that rate for most people. Visual displays will never go away, even
> for text-only applications.

I can hardly wait any longer for those wall mounted screens like on
Fahrenheit 451, I've been waiting over 25 years!  Soon there won't be any
more text based applications, and we'll *really* need those "book people".

Tracy Johnson
Computer Associates International Inc.
Manufacturing Knowledge (MK) Group
"Semper Pollus"