HP3000-L Archives

February 1998, Week 3

From:
Jeff Vance <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Vance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 16:54:20 -0800
On Feb 18, 12:47pm, Donna Garverick wrote:
> Subject: Re: READ ONLY Variables?
> Anderson, Michael wrote:
>
> > I have designed a system that requires the programmatic creation of a
> > read only variable. I know that it is possible to create a read only
> > variable in MPE. However, when I MTFM in the HPCIPUTVAR section I find
> > NO documentation for read only variables. Does anyone on the list know
> > how I can create my own read only variable?
>
> i might be mistaken (and i'm sure jeff vance will correct me if i am :-)
> but i don't think you'll be able to do this until 6.0 is released.  the
> whole civar thing is getting redone and this is (supposed to be) one of
> the things being changed.              - d

There is no CI supported way to define READ-only CI variables.  You
probably could use some non-enforceable convention but you cannot
prevent a user from modifying a user-created CI variable.  A UDC
named SETVAR would help but the COMMAND intrinsic skips UDCs and there
are other workarounds, and exceptions etc.

The work that Donna refers too (and I appreciate all of her input on this
topic) has been postponed for a long time now.  It is called "system level"
CI variables but also includes command file local vars. I don't know when
it will be resumed at this point, but I hope it gets going some time
soon :(.  The issue is that we (CSY) are investing lots of people in
higher prioity projects -- many of which you will hear about at IPROF.
We believe that there is greater long term customer benefit in our current
projects and we've had to cut back on some other enhancements.

We can discuss this more on or offline as you wish.  This kind of
tradeoff could be a topic for IPROF (SIGMPE?) if there is interest.

regards,
Jeff Vance, CSY