HP3000-L Archives

February 1998, Week 3

Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 10:53:25 +0000
Mark Gross said,
"I updated MPE/ix from 5.0 to 5.5 pp4 over the weekend. The process went
fairly well and took about 6 hours. I was a bit displeased, however, to see my
batch jobs taking up to 42% longer to complete, with the average being about
30%. YIKES! I expected to take a performance hit, but is this normal? We are
running a 937LX with 128Meg of memory."
Mark Gross
Emerson Motion Control

Dave Gale replied,
> Hi Mark.
>
> "I remember that under 4.0, I upgraded a 922LX. It slowed down so badly that
> I was asked to consider backing up to 3.0. Memory was so expensive for the
> 922 back then that I was able to work out a deal to upgrade to a 927lx (lots
> of details left out but 3.0 was not an option by then). HP later had some
> patches that made the machines with less memory run faster.
>
> Do you have a performance tool (SOS, Glance) to tell you what the system is
> doing? Looks like you have room for memory..."

> Dave Gale                          777-8082 internal

Mark,
As Dave Gale suggests I would consider memory as another possible bottleneck
(along with CPU as mentioned in Bill Lancasters post).  We normally see an
increase in memory usage from one upgrade to the next.  It is really nice to
take a look with your monitoring tool and check it out before responding to the
problem.

Jeff Kubler
LPS
Jeff Kubler                      |  541-926-3800
Lund Performance Solutions       |  http://www.lund.com
Consulting & Training            |