HP3000-L Archives

February 1998, Week 3

Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 16:15:42 -0700
Gavin writes:
>Jerry wrote:
>>In the local newscast last night there was a piece on the
>>beginning of training for a 70-ish year-old down at NASA,
>>who will be the oldest person to fly in space...seems kinda
>>ironic that he is also the subject of today's 'This day in
>>History....'!
>
>>           In 1962 - John Glenn, Jr. became the 1st American to
>>                     orbit the earth.
>
>Of course it's 36 years(!) later, and he's not getting any farther into
>space than he did the first time, which is a rather sad comment on the
>state of at least manned exploration.

This is incorrect. Friendship 7, which carried Glenn on his first flight,
was launched into an elliptical orbit with an apogee of 156 statute
miles. STS-95 will be launched into a circular orbit at 345 statute
miles. He's getting 189 miles farther into space than he got last time.

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
btoback AT optc.com                |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Unsolicited mail to [log in to unmask] will be inspected for a
fee of US$250. Mailing to said address constitutes agreement to
pay, including collection costs.