HP3000-L Archives

February 1998, Week 2

From:
Dale Halterman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dale Halterman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 08:19:38 -0800
I agree that fancy looking annual reports do give the *appearance* of
stability.  However decision makers, if they have any sense at all, understand
this and will base decisions on more objective factors.

But then again, we all live in a Dilbert world. ;-)

If the glossy report can generate demand for HP stock where it did not exist
before, then the company overall will be a better position to back the HP3000
and related product lines.  If I were an HP executive, I would gladly risk the
loss of a HP3000  sale because some pointy-haired manager didn't see the product
in the slick annual report if the benefit were to increase demand (and therefore
asking price) for HP stock because thousands of Wally-types were motivated to
invest in "something with computers" after seeing the same report.
 Joe Geiser wrote:

> There are many times when an annual report is included with
> the glossies.  Decision makers, if they have any sense at all, want to know
> that they are dealing with a vendor who is stable.

---
Dale Halterman  Wumly Consulting Services, Inc.
510/703-5849 mailto:[log in to unmask] http://www.wumly.com
  "Professional Services to Information Systems Management"
    specializing on all types of HP equipment since 1988.