HP3000-L Archives

February 1998, Week 2

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 12 Feb 1998 15:45:06 -0500572_- HP 3000 Discussion Group-

My name is Brent Stephens and I work for Decision Consultants,
Inc. We have been chartered by one of our largest clients to come in
and
complete a department wide data/system analysis. One of the
core
systems runs on a HP 3000/MPE platform. We need to find 3
operating
system/hardware gurus to join our team and to complete high
level analysis and data mapping. We have a team of 11 other
people that are already beginning the same sort of analysis on VM and
UNIX platforms (the 2 other core systems). [...]41_12Feb199815:45:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 22:06:17 -0500
Curt Brimacomb wrote...

> I was talking to one of the guys here in the office, and he told me that
it
> was decided that we were not going to setup a booth at HPWorld this year
> because it is in California.  The reason was that if we setup a booth for
> the show in San Diego, the state of California will tax our total sales
for
> the year.  Just for having a "presence" there during the year.
>
> This sounds really dumb to me.  How could they do that?  Can someone reply
> back to my on this.

In checking tax laws here with my accountant - he's never heard of such a
thing - but again, this is California we're talking about, so who knows.
The presence of a booth at a trade show floor does not mean you have a
presence there, because you are domiciled elsewhere.

Again - this comes from my accountant, and we ARE talking about California,
which has come up with some weird things in the past, so who knows.  I would
check with your CPA and/or tax attorney for the skinny on this.

(And let us know - because there are other vendors here who would really
love to know this too :-)

Joe