HP3000-L Archives

February 1998, Week 2

From:
LNisenoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
LNisenoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:46:54 GMT
>Subject: HP to IBM FTP question
>From: "Ishwar G. Tailor" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Wed, Feb 11, 1998 16:36 EST
>
>Greetings ,
>
>I need some help in resolving an FTP file transfer from a Big iron PDS
>member to HP using
>mget:
>
>Remote system type is MVS.
>ftp> MGET 'XYZ.NEWPDS.PDS(AA1000X)'
>125 List started OK.
>27 bytes received in 0.04 seconds (0.71 Kbytes/sec)
>mget 'YRE.XYZ.NEWPDS.PDS(AA1000X)'?
>
>What is FTP asking for ?
>
>Pressing ENTER gives:
>
>The file name starts with a nonalphabetic character.  (FILE OPEN ERROR
>-255)
>Data Transfer Request Failed.  (FTPERR 13)
>
>Big Iron file appears to be AOK
>
>Thanks

The MGET command allows you to ftp one or a group of files from a remote system
at once.  The default for FTP is interactive mode.  Hence, FTP is going to ask
if it's ok to copy each of the file(s).  To get around this question first
enter "prompt off", which will take you out of interactive mode.

As for the error "file name starts with a nonalphabetic character" message,
remove the single quote from around the file name.

Disclaimer: I've never used ftp to or from an HP3000 (I'll be glad next month
with I go to MPE/iX 5.5), but the above information is true for UNIX.